Regardless how longingly your dog looks at you or begs for any of these yummy looking items, be firm and say him they aren't for doggies or you may find yourself with a sizable vet bill and a seriously poorly pup.
Humans may love it but while theobromine isn’t harmful to humans, it’s the ingredient in chocolate that harms dogs, who metabolize it more slowly, ensuring it builds up to toxic levels in their system. Dark chocolate is the worst - if the hound gets his chops around a bar its likely he will cause him to vomit, have diarrhea, and become overly thirsty. In severe cases it causes abnormal heart rhythms, seizures, tremors, and can be fatal.
02. Peanut butter (with Xylitol)
Xylitol is a sugar substitute often found in peanut butter and sugar-free products. The issue is that it doesn't completely digest in the intestines, making it highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures and liver failure. It can also be fatal. Seek immediate veterinary attention as symptoms of xylitol poisoning can be evident in as little as 30 minutes.
Garlic can act as a natural flea repellent, but this is only in small doses and the dosage is based on a dog's weight. Too much garlic will poison a dog and destroy red blood cells, which can lead to anemia. Symptoms can include vomiting, breathlessness, weakness, and a loss of interest in food.
Onions contain compounds called disulfides and thiosulphates which can be toxic to dogs if ingested. Unlike grapes where a small quantity can be toxic, small quantities can be okay, but again, persistent consumption will accrete toxins and can cause hemolytic anemia, damaging red blood cells.
05. Apple cores & seeds
While apples are a good, low-calorie treat, the core isn't dog-friendly. The seeds contain small quantities of cyanide, which if eaten frequently accumulate to toxic levels. Additionally, the core is a potential choking hazard and can cause an obstruction.
Avocados contain a chemical called persin. In small amounts, persin shouldn't cause any problems but in larger amounts, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The pit is the biggest worry, as if ingested it can cause an obstruction.
07. Sweets, chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash
Not only is sugar not good for dogs but these products also contain xylitol (see peanut butter above). It's not like you're going to clean your dog's teeth with Colgate and offer it a rinse with Listerine before bed, but be aware that a lot of modern products contain xylitol. Always read the packet if unsure.
08. Rhubarb Leaves
Rhubarb is toxic to dogs as they contain oxalates. Symptoms can include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, tremors and bloody urine.
09. Grapes and raisins
Both are known to be highly toxic to dogs, though research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance causes this reaction. Because of that, peeled or seedless grapes should be avoided. Ingesting the fruit can lead to sudden kidney failure in dogs. Symptoms can include decreased appetite, lethargy, vomiting and or diarrhea within a few hours of ingestion.
Dogs and drinking are not happy bedfellows, The hard and fast rule is don't give your dog any alcohol. Dogs can absorb alcohol through their skin and if drunk it can affect your dog's central nervous system. Symptoms can include vomiting, and diarrhea, and can be fatal. Watch your drinks, especially in short glasses, Christmas is a time of year to be especially careful. If you dog wants a boozy treat we'd suggest you get some alcohol free “Bottom Sniffer”, available online via reputable sources, for dogs. Dudley has one without fail every birthday!